There are few things that make me want to get out of bed in the morning. So, I schedule brunch dates. They are perfect. Everyone has something to do during the day, so brunch usually can be capped at an hour if you needed it to. But, for the more intimate brunches, there are lots of options.
The Brunch of Your Life:
- Jam, Neighborhood: Logan Square
Whether you are recovering from a hangover or want to start your morning with something original, this is your spot. The waiters are perfect, as is the location. Go there during summer, sit outside and people watch at the next door Farmer’s Market. I had the French Toast with coffee. I also had the chicken and waffles. Yes and yes.
The Savory Brunch:
- SouthPort Grocery & Cafe, Neighborhood: Roscoe Village
Don’t waste your time getting lunch here. The coffee is solid. The food, though, is worth the wait. Though a smaller establishment, they know their food. For an added kick, they have Bourbon Hot Chocolate.
Get This Girl a Mimosa:
- Timothy O’Tooles, Neighborhood: Streeterville
They have a $15 Mimosa bar. Yes, please!!
- Twisted Spoke, Neighborhood: Noble Square
Sit on the rooftop portion. It is pretty isolated, and it feels more like a Checker’s, with a picnic table, shared seating, but it is perfect for capturing the Chicago sun.
Game Day Brunch:
- Old Town Pour House, Neighborhood: Old Town
So many TVs. They cover hockey, football, basketball. It’s basically a TV wall.
- Toast, Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
You’ll wait an hour, but the Wizard of Oz Park is right next door.
- Batter and Berries, Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Seriously, just get the French Toast here.
It’s Not Just a Donut:
- Doughnut Vault, Neighborhood: North Side
- Stan’s Donuts and Coffee, Neighborhood: Wicker Park
Who puts peanut butter in a doughnut? They do. Start here and then go shopping. Sunday is done!
- Cafe Tula, Neighborhood: Lakeview
Tula’s has a nice cup of coffee, better than next door, Julius Meinl (Meinl has good salads).
- Cafe Mustache, Neighborhood: Logan Square
French music in the background. You can expect mis-matched furniture and mustaches on the bathroom to take your favorite bathroom pic selfie.
Add Some Sugar to It:
- Ann Sather’s, Neighborhood: Edgewater, Lakeview
Don’t bother with the Egg’s Benedict. They will disappoint. Eggs are a good choice, just make sure your side is Ann Sather’s cinnamon rolls. You get two, and you will most likely be taking a doggie bag home with them.